The Device Design Certification is a professional certification for ESD Certified Professional Design Engineers. This Program is intended for individuals who are involved in designing, characterizing and implementing improved ESD protection designs. The requirement for certification is 10 courses and passing the Device Design Exam.
- Demonstrates knowledge, experience, and competency.
- Encourages self-development and continuing education.
- A check mark in the "plus" column in performance reviews, career advancement, and new employment opportunities.
Employers & Industry
- Helps raise the overall competency level of the entire ESD control field.
- Provides a means to assess the qualifications of personnel hired to work in static control.
- Helps assure that the industry has properly trained and qualified personnel helping solve ESD control problems.
- Helps prepare companies for ISO 9000 audits if professional certification is part of a company's formal program.
- Improves seller-buyer relationships through better communication with fewer misunderstandings.
Begin official file with EOS/ESD Association, Inc. headquarters to obtain certification. You must initiate an official file in your name at EOS/ESD Association, Inc. headquarters. Register Online
Complete Required Minimum Prerequisite Courses
The courses are listed in the next section 'Courses'. To view course abstracts please visit https://www.esda.org/training-and-education/esda-tutorials/
Pass An In-Depth Examination
The examination will be held annually during Symposium week. The examination will consist of multiple choice and essay questions. The essay portion of the exam will be graded by two individuals. The examination is open book. You may bring any reference materials, including, but not limited to, books, standards, and tutorial notes. You may also bring a calculator and computer. No cell phones, internet connections or sharing of reference material is allowed.
The Examination is also administered online. Please contact us for more information and availability.
Note: If passing criteria is not met for one or more sections, you will need to attend the applicable tutorials before retaking the exam.
On-chip ESD Protection in RF Technologies (1 Credit)
ESD Basics to Advanced Protection Design (3 Credits)
Latch-up Fundamentals or: Latch-up Physics and Design (1 Credit)
System Level ESD/EMI: Testing to IEC and other Standards (3 Credits)
Fundamentals of Failure Analysis (1 Credit)
Charged Device Model Phenomena, Design, and Modeling (3 Credits)
Transmission Line Pulse (TLP) Basics and Applications (3 Credits)
ESD Device Qualification Testing (3 Credits)
Circuit-Level Modeling and Simulation of On-Chip Protection (3 Credits)
Impact of Technology Scaling on ESD High Current Phenomena and Implications for Robust ESD Design (3 Credits)
Continuing Education & Renewal
To maintain certification, an annual renewal fee of $100 is required, along with the completion of 6 professional education units as indicated in the renewal form, emailed annually.
How To Register
There is an official registration filing fee of $50.00 that must be completed and submitted to EOS/ESDA Association, Inc.